Sunday, October 14, 2012

Killer Mashed-Potato-Salad

It's been a while, and even longer since I posted a recipe here. Since Barbara from Barbara's Spielwiese is on business in China at the moment, I got tremendously jealous, so today I want to share a recipe I found on the Chinese recipe site 下厨房 (xiachufang). It is called 夺命土豆泥 (killer mashed potatoes), deadly only because it is so good. Although I have to admit it could easily be a Japanese recipe, because I had some similar mashed potato salad in sandwiches when I was in Japan.
 
I changed the originally recipe a bit, because it wasn't vegetarian and also tried blue potatoes to see whether a purplish colour would look good in mashed potatoes. Judge for yourself :)
 
This is the blue potato (Blue Swede), peeled. I like the marbled look of them :)

 
And this is the end result; I shaped it in balls like in the original recipe, but it ended up spread on some yummie wholemeal rolls after all:
 

Killer Mashed-Potato-Salad

Ingredients

4 floury potatoes
2 carrots
1/2 cup of corn kernels (from can)
a handful green beans
1/2 cup plant milk (I used oat milk)
2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
white wine vinegar
salt and pepper 
 
 
 
What to do
 
Peel and boil potatoes in salty water. While potatoes boil cut carrots into small dices and boil together with cut beans in salty water until tender (don't overcook them!).
When potatoes are soft, drain, add plant milk and bring the milk to the boil (you can do this in an extra pot to better control the consistency but I sometimes just use the pot with the potatoes in it). Immediately take the pot from the heat and mash the potatoes; the mash should be quite firm. Add carrots, beans, corn, spices, mayonnaise, and vinegar and carefully mix the ingredients.
 
Shape them in balls (if I had an ice cream scoop I would have tried it because my balls are a bit misshapen) or just put it in a bowl. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment