Saturday, April 16, 2011

Wild Garlic and Walnut Pesto

I couldn't resist! The wild garlic harvest nears it's end so I had to chop up some of the last leaves :)

This time I tried walnuts instead of the much milder pine nuts or cedar nuts:



And I made it into a quick supper since I was alone and came back late from a evening lecture at the planetarium. The pesto was ready even before the pasta had finished cooking, so it was real fast food.


I make my pesto quite firm because I also use it as a spread (crusty bread with tomato slices and homemade pesto ... yummy!). So if I use it on pasta I have to add some cooking water and/or olive oil to make it more saucy.


I actually liked the pine nuts better, the walnuts nearly drowned the wild garlic taste. But it could also have been less garlicky because near the end of the season, wild garlic is simply less garlicky and the oxalic acid emerges more strongly.

3 comments:

  1. Made exactly the same yesterday! :-D (wild garlic=bärlauch?)I used pinenuts and walnuts and made a "raw" version(but all pesto is raw, isn`t it??)
    It was so tasty, especially with my first "raw" bread(it is like soft cracker, sooo good, with sun dried tomatos, mhm...) I made my raw bread without a dehydrator, in my oven and it works! I'm happy! :-)
    Do you know socca? I`m in socca fever too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Amatou:
    Ich hab noch nie Socca gegessen. Ist das so was wie Farinata? Wäre nicht undankbar für das Rezept :)

    Ich hatte mal dieses raw Brot aud dem Naturkostladen:
    http://www.wohlsein-rgl.de/Online-Shop/product_info.php?info=p431_keimling-naturkost---italienisches-pita-brot.html

    war auch italienisch und hat sich sehr lecker geknabbert. Wie lange musste denn dein Brot dann im Backofen bleiben? Waren ja ganz niedrige Temperaturen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Das Brot-Rezept stelle ich sehr bald rein, ich hatte die letzen Tage unerwartet Besuch, somit verschiebt sich alles ein wenig(auch der Versand, etnschuldige...). Bin gerade strozend vom Dreck aus dem Garten getrokelt, mein Kräuertbeet ist fertig, puh, und ich bin auch fertig....

    Das Brot- gar nicht so lange, ich habe es sehr dünn gemacht. So 3-4 Stunden? War aber vielleicht nicht mehr ganz "Roh", aber extrem lecker.
    Socca u. fritata sind ähnlich, ich habe dieses Rezept versucht:http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/10/socca-v10v16v19/ war sehr lecker, ich habe aber diese und jenes verändert.Versuch mal Kombu Flüssigkeit anstelle des Wassers und mit paar Pilzen belegen---hmmmmmmmm....Lecker...

    ReplyDelete