Sunday, February 20, 2011

A culinary tour around the world - sixth stop: Egypt


Sadly I missed last week's stop Thailand. What a great opportunity for veggie curries I missed :( ....
But well, life goes on and after fighting a really bad cold and a pyelitis I'm nearly fit to go anywhere. Well, nearly.
But let us have a look where Joan from foodalogue is taking us this week for our culinary tour around the world:


Can you guess? Right, it's Egypt!
I was twice in Cairo, and although this might not be reflecting any knowledge about the rest of the country, I at least did eat some original Egyptian food in my life. Strangely not a lot kept in my memory. We still remember Umm Ali, a sweet and heavy desert which the boys devoured in great quantities. But I'm still working on my own veganised version, so this takes a little bit more time.
I know that I loved Karkadeh a lovely hibiscus tea which you can drink hot or cold. And I of course remember ful nabed, the Egyptian fava bean stew. I couldn't get either hibiscus or fava beans, and I still wasn't well enough to drive to the next greater town to look for the ingredients, so I decided on something simple. A soup, since soups seem to help in all matters of bad health.
I decided on a cauliflower soup with cumin and fennel from EgyptianFood.org.

North African Cauliflower Soup with Cumin, Chives and Fennel (source: EgyptianFood.org)


 

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups chopped onions

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 cups diced potatoes

5 cups chopped cauliflower

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 1/2 teaspoons ground fennel

4 cups hot water

2 vegetable bouillon cube

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

salt & freshly ground black pepper

chopped tomatoes and chives



Directions

In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, saute onions in vegetable oil for 5 to 10 minutes, or until translucent.

Add the potatoes, cumin, and fennel; cook for 1 minute.

Add the hot water; cover, turn up the heat and bring to a boil.

Add the cauliflower and bouillon cubes and return to a boil.

Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until the vetetables are tender.

In a blender, puree and vegetable/broth mixture until smooth.

Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste.

Reheat the soup, being careful not to scorch it.

Serve warm; garnish with chopped tomatoes and chives.


It was a good soup, but to say it reflects the spirits of Egypt is going too far. So in the end I was a bit dissappointed. For a little bit of comfort, here some photos of Cairo I took two years ago (obviously with an awful camera):


Overview over Cairo

Homes for the poor along the Nile (I can only hope that this will now change for the better)


Pyramid of Khufu, but have a look at the sign for the perfumery 'Ramses'
on the right-hand side, it is written in Russian!
 



4 comments:

  1. I really like the recipe for this soup. Fennel is my favorite spice.

    Glad you're feeling better. I hope you can make the trip to Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm Ali is one of my favourite Middle Eastern desserts too. I like this recipe for soup too as it sounds fresher than the usual cauliflower soups with cream. Perhaps it'll tempt my vegetarian daughter to eat cauliflower. I like your Cairo pics btw as it shows the reality that the Giza pyramids are actually in the suburbs rather than in a deserted desert location.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ehi don't be disappointed, your soup is great! Nice to see you again in our tour and hope to see you in Nigeria!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful soup. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete