Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Rome

It's about time I show you some photos from our stay in Rome. It was a short week, but nevertheless a wonderful time. The weather was not bad either, and thus we could visit all the famous spots without umbrellas and warm coats. Let's have a look at our first day; this is the Piazza di Siena in the famous landscape garden 'Villa Borghese':

Our walk through the Villa Borghese brought us to the church of Trinità dei Monti. And from there we could walk down the Spanish Steps. Although all the post cards show the steps covered by red azaleas there were no flowers anywhere. Maybe we were to early for a show of flowers. However, it was flocked with people or rather tourists.


At the base of the Spanish Steps is the baroque fountain of the old boat, the Fontana della Barcaccia. I was in Rome ages ago, but I couldn't remember this fountain. Neither could I detect it on my old photographs. But, since it was built in the 17th century my brain must be tricking me very badly. I'm just wondering why it wasn't on the old photo. ?!?!? Anyway, I was enjoying it all the more this year.


In the piazza colonna stood, guess what, a column. It is the column of Marcus Aurelius, with an awsome spiral relief. It was built to celebrate the triumph of Marcus Aurelius over the Teutons and Sarmations in AD 176. Had we been in ancient Rome, this column would have been the centre focus of the Martian field.

A further highlight was to go to the largest Baroque fountain of the world, the Trevi fountain. Of course it goes back to much much older aqueducts or waterways, that brought drinking water into the town and used to end in beautiful fountains. And it took 30 years to finish this one.

When I was in Rome (you remember, ages ago) I threw a coin into the fountain, to reassure my return to this beautiful city, and, voilà, here I was again, looking at Oceanus and his shell chariot.

In the 1954 movie 'Three Coins in the Fountain' it is said that two coins will bring you a new romance and three coins will ensure either a marriage or a divorce. Well, I should have known earlier *sigh*.

No comments:

Post a Comment